You might have forgotten your AOL account password. Or you just want to update it to prevent it from hacking or compromise. This article will guide you on how to change login password for AOL. Like your other internet accounts, you probably gave your AOL account a strong password. But you still have to revise it regularly. There are two methods by which you can change your password.
You can do both by using any web browser on your device. Here’s how to change login password for AOL:
If you know your current password
- Open your web browser and visit AOL.com.
- If you have not logged into your AOL account, sign in.
- Click your profile picture on the web page in the top-right corner. You will be taken to your email account page.
- Click “Account Security” in the navigation tab on the left side.
- Click on “Change password.”
- Type the new password you want to use, and then type it again to ensure you entered it correctly. Click “Show password” if that helps you type more correctly. After that, click “Continue.
Your new password will be saved
If you have forgotten your password
- Open your browser and visit AOL.com.
- Enter your username on the Sign-in page and click “Next.”
- On the page to enter your password, select “forgot password?”
- Follow the instructions to change your password. Depending on what type of security method you have. The process on how to change login password will be different. For example, AOL might send a one-time verification code to your email inbox. Once you have entered the code, the system will give you the choice to change your password.
How to change login password for AOL in iOS
If you have the AOL app on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Then, you can change your password in the app.
- Open your mail in the app.
- Click on the menu button in the upper-left corner.
- Select ‘Settings & privacy’.
- At the top, select ‘Manage accounts’
- Click on ‘Account Info’ next to the account for which you want to change the password.
- Choose ‘Security Settings’.
- Select ‘Change password’.
- Type in a new password and then choose ‘Continue’.
Tips for choosing and using a new password
Long passwords are more difficult to decrypt than short passwords. Furthermore, they are harder to recall. Here are a few tips on how to change login password:
- Use a short complete sentence that you can easily remember. And do not put spaces in between the words.
- Use the first letter of each word of a longer sentence.
- Use a few numbers or special characters. Add them at the beginning, middle, or end of the phrase or sentence.
- Keep it fairly simple. So you will not have to write down your password. And lose your security in the process.
- Change your password at regular intervals. Every three or six months is not a bad idea.
- AOL demands at least eight letters in a password. Moreover, it suggests that you use special characters such as &*#!@. But they are not compulsory.
Even if you have strong passwords and change them regularly. They cannot protect your device from keyloggers or people who glimpse over your shoulder as you type your password. Add a two-step verification and run anti-virus software often. Most importantly, be aware of your environment when logging into your mail in public.